Lean and Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Shared by Bobby Deen on Dr. Oz
When Paula Deen was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, Bobby Dean decided to come up with some healthy ingredient alternatives. His mother, Paula Deen is beloved for her bubbly personality and her mouth watering southern dishes. Bobby Deen has set out to create healthy versions of some of his momma’s favorite southern recipes. Chicken pot pie’s are an American classic and are considered to be a “comfort food” on those cold winter days. The aroma can fill a household as they cook to a golden brown in the oven. However, if you look at the ingredients, fat, and calories that are in traditional recipes you might not like what you see. Listed below is the “healthy” alternative recipe that Bobby Deen shared on the Dr. Oz show today.
Healthy and Lean Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Dr. Oz said that Chicken Pot Pie’s are one of his favorites so he was excited to see this recipe that has healthy ingredient alternatives so you can enjoy this classic dish without the guilt! You will save A LOT of calories and fat if you follow this recipe as opposed to the traditional way of making Chicken Pot Pie.
Healthy Ingredients :
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen peas
- 1 cup onions (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups of boneless chicken breast (skinless) – You should cook the chicken first and finely chop it into pieces
- 1/2 cup of low fat cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups chicken broth (look for a low sodium chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup of skim milk
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3-5 tbsp cold water
Directions on how to make Bobby Deen’s Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Step by step instructions :
- Set oven to 375 degrees and preheat
- Spray 9 inch pie pan with cooking spray
- Add 1 tbsp of canola oil to large skillet and heat to medium
- Add carrots & onions. Cook for 5 minutes
- Stir in 1 1/2 tbsp flour and mix
- Add chicken broth
- Add milk – Whisk the mixture thoroughly
- Set to simmer for 5 minutes until the mixture thickens
- Add cheddar cheese until it melts
- Add in the cooked chicken pieces, peas, and celery salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into your 9 inch pie pan
Directions on how to make the crust
- Mix the 1 1/4 cup flour and salt
- Add the canola oil (1/4 cup) and mix
- Add in a little cold water until the dough barely stays together
- Sprinkle some flour on a flat countertop surface and roll out the dough into a 10 inch circle
- Place the dough over the pie pan (that you already placed the filling into. Tuck the dough into the sides.
- Cut two slices in top of the dough to allow it to vent while cooking
- Bake for 30 minutes into golden brown
Enjoy a healthier version of the Classic Chicken Pot Pie recipe!