Big Daddy Shares His Chicken Pot Pie Recipe On Dr. Oz
As autumn quickly approaches and the leaves begin to change, warming foods like chicken pot pies seem to become more and more appealing. However, the chicken pot pies that you buy at the store and throw in the oven are loaded with fat and calories so they may not be the best option for the health conscious family. A better option would be to make a homemade chicken pot pie, but many moms and dads out there simply don’t always have enough time. Fortunately, Dr. Oz invited Big Daddy on to the show today to talk about how you can make a healthy chicken pot pie in 30 minutes or less that is much lower in calories and fat than traditional store bought pot pies which really aren’t good for you at all. Here is the recipe that Big Daddy shared on today’s Dr. Oz:
- 1 1/2 lbs of cooked chicken
- 3 cups of frozen veggies (you should set them out to thaw beforehand)
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1/2 cup of onions chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of celery (chopped into pieces)
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- Fresh (chopped) sage
- 2 tbsp bouillon powder (choose salt free)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning (salt free)
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 frozen pie crust
- 1 cup of shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- Add chicken stock, chicken, celery, onion, and mixed vegetables to a large pot.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning, pepper, sage, and puillon powder. Mix and a simmer on stove.
- Thicken up the mixture by making a roux: (Combine 1/2 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of canola oil). Add the mixture to the pot while stirring. Slowly add the heavy cream while continuing to stir. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Bake the pie crust and break it into pieces and add to the top of the chicken pot pie mixture
- Add some shredded cheese to the top and enjoy
Traditional chicken pot pie recipe – 790 calories and 45 grams of fat
Big Daddy’s chicken pot pie recipe – Only 372 calories and 14 grams of fat!!Are you a fan of Dr. Oz but unable to watch his show regularly? Consider Liking “Fans of Dr. Oz” on Facebook to view daily show recaps and summaries.