Dr. Oz Talks About Healing Baths, Soaks, and A Freekeh Super Grain Recipe
In the past Dr. Oz has talked about super grains like Quinoa as the type of grains that should be in your diet. Today, Dr. Oz talked about a new super grain called “Freekeh” that is even better! Freekeh has been around for a long time but has flown under the radar. Freekeh is actually a Green Wheat that has had very little processing done to it.
Why Freekeh Is Better Than Other Grains
- Freekah has 2X as much fiber as Quinoa
- Contains twice as much protein as brown rice
- Contains more calcium, iron, and potassium than whole wheat
Dr. Oz loves Freekeh because it can help you to lose weight because of the high amount of fiber that it has. It is also high in protein so you won’t be hungry for a long time after consuming it
- Use Freekeh instead of rice or pasta in your favorite dishes
- You can buy Freekeh for approximately $3.50 per bag (in health stores and some grocery stores)
Freekah Pilaf Recipe
- 1 cup of Freekeh (uncooked)
- 1 cup of broth or water
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp of toasted pine nuts
- 3 tsp of olive oil
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon
- pinch of freshly chopped parsley, cilantro, and mint
Preparation directions :
- Mix the minced garlic, chopped onions and olive oil in a large pot.
- Cook on medium heat 15-20 mins (stir occasionally)
- Soak the Freekeh in a bowl of cold water for five minutes. Rinse and drain.
- Add the freekeh to the minced garlic mixture in the pot. Add in cinnamon, salt, pepper, and allspice. Pour in the water. Heat to boil. Then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from stove and set for 5 minutes with the lids still on
- Add the cilantro, parsley, and mint. Mix thoroughly
Add some pine nuts to the top and enjoy your “healthy” Freekeh Super Grain dish you just created!
Epsom Salt Bath
Taking a “healing” bath helps to reduce stress. Here is the epsom salt detox bath recipe that he shared on today’s show :
- 2 cups of Epsom Salts and 10 drops of lavender essential oil
Add 1/4 cup of ground ginger to a foot bath. Sit back and soak your feet. The ginger will soothe your feet and reduce inflammation that is contributing to the achy feet.
Are you a fan of Dr. Oz but unable to view his show regularly? Consider Liking “Fans of Dr. Oz” on Facebook to view daily show recaps and summaries.