Dr. Oz Fans Share Their Healthy “Comfort Food Recipes” : Banana Split, Fried Chicken
On today’s show Dr. Oz was talking about health risks associated with different body types and what you can do to lower your risk for potential health risks. During this episode Dr. Oz asked his fans to share their favorite “comfort food recipes” and they sure were up to the task.. Have the words “healthy” and “banana split” ever been spoken? How about healthy “Macaroni and Cheese”? The banana split, mac and cheese recipes shared below both contain healthier alternative ingredients to allow you to enjoy a delicious treat. All without all of the guilt that are associated with these comfort foods.
Healthy Banana Split Recipe
- Graham cracker pie crust
- 8 oz Greek yogurt
- 1 15 oz can of pineapples (choose the crushed pineapples)
- one half cup of confectioner’s sugar
- 1 eight ounce container of cool whip (choose the “light” cool whip)
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 bananas
- Maraschino cherry
Preparation directions on how to make a healthy banana split :
- Mix the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, vanilla extract, crushed pineapples, confectioner’s sugar, bananas, strawberries, and light cool whip in a large bowl.
- Mix all of the ingredients and pour the mixture into the graham cracker pie crust. Top the banana split with maraschino cherry and enjoy.
Dr. Oz mentioned that this healthier banana split version contains less than half the calories than traditional banana split recipes!Healthy Macaroni and Cheese RecipeTraditional mac and cheese recipes contain approximately 690 calories per serving. The healthy Mac & Cheese recipe below (contributed by Daphne) contains only 349 calories. She said that this recipe is much healthier because she replaced the cheese with blended cashews and uses whole wheat pasta instead of white pasta that is traditionally used.Healthy Mac and Cheese Ingredients :
- 1 lb whole wheat macaroni
- 3 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 1 cup of cashews
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp of miso
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Black pepper
- Optional items : chopped parsley and breadcrumbs
Recipe directions on how to make healthy Mac and Cheese
- Using a blender or food processor, puree the cashews, water, miso, garlic, salt, onion powder, vinegar, and lemon juice until creamy.
- Using a large pot, bring water (with some salt) to a boil. Add in the Macaroni and cook according to the directions that are on the noodle package.
- While the Mac n Cheese is cooking, make a roux in a medium saucepan by mixing flour and oil over medium heat. This should take 3 to 5 minutes. Add in the cashew puree mixture and bring to a boil while stirring often. Lower heat to low and simmer. All the sauce to thicken.
- Mix the pasta you boiled, sauce, sea sauce, and pepper (to taste).
- Serve and enjoy!
Are you a fan of Dr. Oz but unable to view his program as often as you would like? Consider Liking “Fans of Dr. Oz” on Facebook to view daily show recaps and summaries.