Dr. Oz Invited Wolfgang Puck on to Today’s Show To Share A Healthy Blueberry Pie Recipe
Wolfgang Puck is famous for his delicious cuisines, famous restaurants, and sparkling personality. Wolfgang Puck was a special guest on today’s Dr. Oz to share some of his favorite dishes but prepared in a healthy way. During this segment Wolfgang (author of Wolfgang Puck Makes It Healthy) shared a blueberry pie recipe that satisfies his sweet tooth but without packing on the pounds. Wolfgang Puck was looking great after he lost weight recently. His new cookbook is full of delicious mouth watering dishes but made with healthier ingredients. Here is one of his recipes that he enjoys to help keep it off!
Blueberry Pie Made With A Teff Crust, by Wolfgang Puck
- 1 1/8 cups of a white spelt flour
- 3/4 cups of teff flour
- 5 ounces of unsalted butter (cut into 1/8 inch thick slices)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- Whisk the teff and spelt flour in a large bowl. Add in the sugar, five-spice powder and salt. Mix thoroughly. Add iin the butter slices and mix.
- Pour out the mixture from step 1 on to a clean surface that has been floured so it won’t stick.
- Roll the mixture with a rolling pin
- Push the mixture into a pile and pound it out with a rolling pin. Do this a few times until the doughy mixture is dry and flaky.
- Put the mixture back into the bowl that you mixed it with.
- Pour 1/3 cup of water and mix until the dough loosens
- Place the dough back on to the floured workspace and flatten the dough.
- Form a flat circle and cover in plastic wrap
- Pour in 1/3 cup water and stir with a spoon or a rubber spatula until it forms into a loose dough.
- Dump the dough onto the floured work area and flatten and fold it over three times by hand.
- Form the dough into a flat circle. Cover it in plastic wrap and place in fridge for at least 1 hour before rolling out.
Pie Filling Ingredients :
- 6 cups of thawed blueberries (you can use fresh or frozen. Be sure that they are drained)
- 3/4 cups of sugar (you can also use some more to sprinkle on top of the blueberry pie when completed)
- 5 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- pinch of kosher salt
- zest of 1 lemon
Pie filling preparation directions :
- Divide the dough that you chilled in the fridge into two pieces. Roll one piece of dough (on a piece of parchment paper) into a 12 inch circle. Press the dough into a 9 inch pie pan. press the dough into the edges of the pan.
- Repeat the process of step one and set aside the second piece of dough.
- Set oven to 350 degrees and preheat
- Add blueberries into a bowl
- In a separate bowl mix the tapioca, sugar, five-spice powder, zest of 1 lemon and salt.
- Pour the mixture of step #5 over the blueberries in the bowl (step #4). Toss the mixture to coat the blueberries
- Pour the blueberry mixture from step #7 into the pie shell that you created.
- Using your fingers press the second piece of dough over the blueberries and form the top of the pie. Press down on the edges to seal the two pieces of dough together.
- Discard any extra if you have any overlapping of the dough on the edges of the crust
- Cut a few slits in the top of the pie crust for venting purposes
- Brush the top of the pie crust with some cold water and then sprinkle on some sugar. The water will help the sugar to stick.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and then bake until golden brown. This should take approximately 40 to 50 minutes.
- After you remove the blueberry pie from the oven set aside and allow to cool before serving.
Are you a fan of Dr. Oz but unable to view his show as often as you would like? Consider Liking “Fans of Dr. Oz” on Facebook to view daily show recaps and summaries.