Dr. Oz and Dr. Joseph Mercola Talk About The Safety of Multivitamins and Health Benefits of Drinking Water
Over the past few years more and more people are drinking coconut water for it’s health benefits. Today Dr. Oz discusses the health claims that are being made by coconut water companies and if you should be adding this nourishing drink to your diet.
Health Benefits Of Coconut Water
Dr. Oz said that many people confuse coconut water with coconut milk. There is difference. Coconut water comes from young coconuts and is a clear-ish liquid. Coconut milk comes from matured brown coconuts. So, keep that in mind if you decide that you want to add coconut water to your diet. Here are some of the benefits that Dr. Oz spoke of on today’s (February 10, 2014) episode :
- Natural energy booster
- Coconut water is high in potassium. The potassium helps to naturally lower your blood pressure and keep your vessels flexible.
- Helps to build up your lean muscle. This can help you to burn more calories throughout the day.
What To Look For When Buying Coconut Water
Be careful when you buy coconut water because many brands have added sugar to them. Here are the recommendation guidelines that he set forth on the show :
- The label should state “No Added Sugars”
- The calories should be 50 or less per serving
- Choose an unflavored coconut water
- Limit yourself to two drinks per day
- Drink one in the morning to start your day, after a workout, or if you are feeling tired in the afternoon.
Do Multivitamins Work? Are They Safe?
Dr. Oz invited Dr. Joseph Mercola on to the show to talk about the controversy surrounding multivitamins. There have been some claims that multivitamins aren’t necessary and may not even be safe. Dr. Mercola said that these claims are upsetting to him. He said that average American doesn’t get the proper amount of nutrition from their food. Multivitamins do serve a benefit for people to make sure they are getting the vitamins that they need. However, Dr. Mercola said that multivitamins should be used “in addition to” rather than in place of a health diet.
Here are the multivitamin guidelines that Dr. Oz shared on the show :
- Read the labels and make sure that your multivitamin contains Vitamins A through E, K, Zinc, Iodine, and Potassium
- Don’t buy “megadose” vitamins
- 30 IU of Vitamin E
- Split your multivitamin in two pieces. Take the first half dose in the morning and take the other at night.
Human Donor Lunch Box
Dr. Oz featured a “Human Donor Lunch Box” during one of the closing segments where he offers bonus tips. You will never have a problem with anyone stealing your lunch ever again! Other tips included :
- Add protein to your diet by using Greek Yogurt in chocolate chip cookie recipes
- Mix olive oil and brown sugar to exfoliate dry skin.
Are you a fan of Dr. Oz but unable to view his show as often as you would like? Consider Liking “Fans of Dr. Oz” on Facebook to view daily show recaps and summaries.