Lisa Lillien “Naughty & Nice” Recipes on Dr. Oz Show : Stuffed French Toast, Buffalo Poppers Recipes
Who ever thought that eating stuffed french toast could ever taste so delicious yet so “Guilt Free”??? Once again, Dr. Oz invited Hungry Girl, Lisa Lillian back on to the show to share some of her favorite “naught but nice” recipes.. She shares an apple & cream cheese stuffed french toast and buffalo popper recipe to tantalize your taste buds without increasing your waistline. While, today’s June 26th show was originally aired back in December, these delicious treats will taste just as nice during the midst of summer. Here are the recipes and preparation directions for Hungry Girl’s “naughty but nice” low calorie and low fat recipes.
Lisa Lillien’s (Hungry Girl) Apple and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast Nuggets
Did you know that a traditional serving of stuffed french toast contains approximately 725 calories? Lisa Lillien’s stuffed french toast recipe reduces the calorie intake by almost two thirds! Her alternative recipe contains only 245 calories. Dr. Oz was intrigued by how many calories Lisa was able to reduce this recipe by.. Lisa said that for her recipe she uses light hot dog buns as the bread used to make the stuffed french toast. She said that traditional style french toast contains more calories than pancakes!
- 1 low calorie “light” hot dog bun
- 2 tbsp of reduced fat cream cheese (allow to warm to room temperature before preparation)
- 1/4 cups of diced apples
- 1/4 cup of fat free egg substitute
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 zero calorie natural sweetener (Dr. Oz usually recommends Stevia)
- 2 tsp light whipped butter (you can also use a light buttery spread)
- Light pancake syrup (this is optional)
Preparation directions :
- Add the egg substitute, 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, and vanilla extract into a small bowl and mix.
- Mix the sweetener, diced apple, and remaining 1/4 tsp cinnamon and then microwave for approximately 1 minute (until softened). Then stir in the (room temperature) cream cheese.
- Spoon the mixture into an opened light hot dog bun. Close the hot dog bun around the apple mixture.
- Cut the hot dog bun (with mixture) into four nugget size pieces.
- Spray a pan with non stick cooking spray
- Add some of the light butter spread to the bottom of the pan.
- Dip the french toast nuggets that you have made into the egg mixture.
- Cook the french toast nuggets on all sides for a few minutes.
Enjoy your low calorie apple and cream cheese stuffed French toast recipe!
Buffalo Halo Poppers Recipe
Jalapeno poppers are a delicious treat for many people who love spicy foods but stuffed poppers are also loaded with calories. Dr. Oz looked rather shocked to learn that traditional jalapeno poppers has approximately 816 calories per serving. Hungry Girl, Lisa Lillien has a secret to make this decadent treat a much healthier one.. She uses a high fiber breakfast cereal as the breading! Here are the ingredients and preparation directions that she shared on today’s June 26, 2013 episode.
- 6 jalapeno peppers (choose the peppers that have the seeds and stems removed and that are halved lengthwise)
- 4 wedges of The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss cheese
- 3 tbsp cumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup of bran cereal twigs (Fiber One would be a good option to choose)
- 1/4 cup of liquid egg substitute (fat free)
- 2 tbsp of cayenne pepper sauce (they chose Frank’s Red Hot Original)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Dash of cayenne pepper
Preparation directions :
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Spray baking sheet with non stick cooking spray
- Using a blender, grind up the high fiber cereal into crumb size pieces.
- Add the cereal pieces to a bowl and mix in the seasonings.
- Combine the cheese wedges (in a small bowl) with 1 tbsp of cayenne pepper sauce. Mix in the blue cheese. Spoon over the sliced jalapeno pepper halves.
- Coat each jalapeno pepper half with egg mixture.
- Coat with the crumb mixture.
- Spread each stuffed buffalo popper on to the baking sheet with the “stuffed” size facing upwards.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Each serving of Lisa Lillien’s buffalo poppers has only 116 calories per serving in comparison to 816 calories that are in traditionally fried jalepeno poppers!
Are you a fan of Dr. Oz but unable to watch his program regularly? Consider Liking “Fans of Dr. Oz” on Facebook to view daily show recaps & summaries.
Special guests appearing on the Dr. Oz June 26, 2013 episode : Lisa Lillien, Stepp Stewart, Aaron McCargo Jr., Seamus Mullen, and Frances Largeman-Roth