Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes on Dr. Oz
Slow cooker /crock pot recipes are always a fan favorite. On March 19, 2014 Dr. Oz invited Chef Alex Guarnaschelli on to the show to choose a winner for the “healthiest” slow cooker crock pot slow cooker recipe competition. Alex and Dr. Oz shared the stage to showcase the sweet and spicy short ribs and cheesy casserole entries on the stage. Here are the easy to find ingredients and recipe directions :
Sweet and Spicy Short Ribs Crock Pot Slow Cooker Recipe
This entry for the “healthiest (and tastiest) crock pot recipe” came from a woman named Amiyrah.
Use the following ingredients to create a marinade and soak over night with 5 lbs of short ribs.
Marinade ingredients :
- 1/2 cup of Sriracha hot sauce
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce (choose a low sodium soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of apricot jam (choose a sugar free version)
- 1 tbsp of fresh ginger (minced)
- Chopped scallions
Preparation directions :
Line the crockpot with aluminum foil and cook on low for 11 to 12 hours.
Cheesy Chicken Casserole Recipe
Here is the “healthy” cheesy chicken casserole entry from Adria that was shared on the show :
- 2 cups of chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheese
- 2 tbsp of ground flaxseeds
- one to two cups of a chopped broccoli, green peppers, and mushrooms mixture (you can add or remove veggies to your liking)
- Spinach (choose a fresh spinach rather than frozen)
- 8 to 10 oz of chicken breast (diced)
- 2 tbsps of flour to thicken the mixture of the casserole
- 1/4 cup of cottage cheese
- 2 tbsp of Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsps of mustard
- 1/8 cup of almond milk
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
Mix the last 5 ingredients (olive oil, almond milk, mustard, Greek yogurt, and cottage cheese) for the cheese mixture.
- Layer the cauliflower, ground flax seeds, veggie mix and 1/4 cup of cheese and diced chicken in the crock pot.
- Keep layering the ingredients until all the ingredients are used and the casserole ingredients are spread throughout.
- Set the crockpot to high and cook for 4 hours.
Are you a fan of Dr. Oz but unable to view his show as often as you would like? Consider Liking “Fans of Dr. Oz” on Facebook to view daily show recaps and summaries.