Dr. Oz Invites The Owners of “Sweetie Pie’s” On to the Show to Share A Few Soul Food Recipes
Sweetie Pie’s restaurant is a huge hit in St. Louis, Missouri. Known for their soul food, Sweetie Pie’s is also a very popular sho that is televised on the OWN Network. This family can be a bit eccentric at times, but they sure are a close knit family who really knows how to cook up some mouth watering soul food!
Catfish and Fried Chicken Recipe
- 1 chicken that is cut into 8 pieces (or you can use 8 boneless catfish fillets)
- 3 Cups of flour if you choose chicken (3 cups of yellow cornmeal if you choose catfish)
- 1 qt bttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp ground red pepper
- Canola or veggie oil
- Ranch dressing to be used as a dipping sauce for chicken pieces
How to make the seasoning :
- 1 cup of salt
- 1/3 cup of garlic (granulated)
- 1/5 cup of paprika
- 1/4 cup of ground black pepper
Preparation directions :
- Cover the chicken or fish in the seasoning mix that you prepared
- Mix the buttermilk and eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Soak the fish or chicken in the buttermilk mixture for at least 15 minutes
- Mix the cornmeal (or flour), seasoning and red pepper in a plastic bag. Add the chicken or fish pieces and shake in the seasoning bag.
- Heat canola oil in a cast iron pan (about 2 inches deep) and fry for 6 to 8 mins. Turn each piece over while being very careful using a pair of tongs. Cook for 6 more minutes
- Take out the pieces and place on paper towels. Add some more seasoning to the chicken or fish pieces.
- Serve and enjoy
Homemade Mac and Cheese “Sweetie Pie” Recipe
- 2 cups of macaroni
- one half pound of velveeta cheese (cut the cheese into cubes)
- 1 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
- 4 tbsp whole milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1/3 pound of sharp cheddar cheese (choose the shredded sharp cheddar)
- 1/3 pound of colby jack cheese (shredded)
- 1/3 pound fancy shredded cheddar cheese (mild) – Use as a topping
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
Preparation directions :Mac and cheese is a common household favorite and is especially delicious during the fall and winter seasons! Here are the step by step directions on how you should prepare this homemade mac n cheese recipe :
- Boil 6 cups of water in a large pot with a tbsp of salt.
- Stir in the macaroni into the boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Drain the macaroni and cool
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- grease a casserole dish (3 quart size) with butter.
- Using a medium sized bowl mix up the eggs, milk, and sour cream
- Add the macaroni pasta into the greased casserole dish.
- Add the milk, egg, and sour cream mixture and mix all together with the macaroni.
- Add butter, margarine, velveeta cubes, sharp cheddar cheese, pepper, and fancy mild cheddar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The mac should be slightly browned
Serve and enjoy this delicious homemade recipe with complements to the Montgomery Family from “Sweetie Pies”!!
Are you a fan of Dr. Oz but unable to view his show regularly? Consider Liking “Fans of Dr. Oz” on Facebook to view daily show recaps and recipes.