Dr Oz and Dr. Tieraona Low Dog Talk About Homemade Cough Syrup and Natural Cold & Exhaustion Remedies
Dr. Oz said that exhaustion affects millions of women and chronic fatigue has reached epidemic proportions in this country. He said that many doctors are not sure of the best way to treat fatigue successfully without side effects. This is why Dr. Oz invited Dr. Tieraona Low Dog (author of Healthy at Home) on to the show to talk about how the remedies to exhaustion and even the common cold can be found in your own home! They talk about why Western medicine has proven to be unsuccessful at treating chronic fatigue, but there are natural remedies that really do work.
Difference Between Feeling Tired and Chronic Fatigue
Just because you seem worn down and frequently feel tired doesn’t mean that you suffer from “chronic fatigue.” Dr. Low Dog explained to Dr. Oz and the audience that there is a very distinct difference between the two. She said that when you have chronic fatigue you don’t feel refreshed after a full night of sleep or if you spend your entire weekend relaxing. Chronic fatigue is likely a symptom of an underlying medical condition and you should see a doctor. Chronic fatigue can be a symptom for diseases like lupus or celiac disease (as well as many others) so it’s important to get checked out by a medical professional.
Take The Chronic Fatigue Quiz
Here is the Chronic Fatigue Quiz that Dr. Low Dog created and then was shared on today’s (January 13, 2014) episode :
- Have you ever been tired for a minimum of four consecutive weeks?
- Do you have difficult time focusing?
- Are you forgetful?
- Even after a full night of quality sleep do you still feel tired?
- Do you have muscle aches and pains?
If you answered Yes to three or more to the quiz noted above you may have chronic fatigue.
Natural Remedies For Chronic Fatigue
Here are the natural cures that Dr. Tieraona Low Dog shared on today’s Dr. Oz. It was said that the natural cures shown below even help to remedy those who only have occasional bouts of exhaustion.
- Rhodiola – Revitalize and rejuvenate with Rhodiola. You should read the labels and look for a bottle that has 3 % Rosavin and 1 % Salidroside. Dosage should be 150mg for the first week and then bump it up to 300-400 mg.
- Asian Ginseng : Try drinking Ginseng Tea two to four times a week. Dr. Low Dog said that Asian Ginseng Tea is potent so you shouldn’t drink it every day.
- 3 minute fatigue fighter – Practice breathing exercises each morning to give yourself a boost of energy the moment you roll out of bed.
Umcka Cold Remedy
There is a natural cold remedy called Umckaloabo (aka Umcka) that is effective at treating upper respiratory infections. Umcka is effective at treating both viral and bacterial infections. Not only do they treat the current cold that you may be suffering from, but they also prevent or reduce the chances of future colds from occuring as well. You can find Umckaloabo in chewable and extract form. Umcka can be taken by children and adults. Another name for Umcka is Pelargonium.
Homemade Cough Syrup Recipe
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of honey (for children under the of 1 you should use maple syrup instead)
- 4 tbsp of Thyme (fresh is best)
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
Bring the cup of water to a boil and then add the fresh Thyme. Allow to steep and cool for 15 minutes. Add the lemon juice and honey.
Homemade cough syrup dosage :
- Adults take 1-2 tbsp every two hours
- Children take 1-2 tsp every two hours
The homemade cough syrup recipe noted above can be kept in the fridge for up to one week
Sage Sore Throat Remedy
Instead of buying those numbing sore throat sprays in a store, consider gargling with sage. Dr. Low Dog said that this homemade sage sore throat gargling recipe is very effective :
- Boil one cup of water and allow sage to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the cup of water
- Add 1/4 tsp of salt to the water
- Tilt your head back and gargle the solution and then spit out into sink
Are you a fan of Dr. Oz but unable to view his show regularly? Consider Liking “Fans of Dr. Oz” on Facebook to view daily show recaps and summaries.