Mark Bittman’s Vegan Rules To Follow & His Scrambled Tofu & Spinach Recipe On Dr. Oz
When Mark Bittman was only 30 years old he was pre-diabetic and was overweight. His doctor suggested that he try a vegan diet to help transform his health. Mark Bittman wasn’t sure that he could stick with a plan that didn’t allow meat so he came up with a plan that he could stick with long term while improving his health at the same time. Here are the Vegan Rules that Mark follows that has helped him lose weight and reverse his pre-diabetic condition.
Mark Bittman’s Vegan Rules
Rule #1 – Eat Vegan all day until 6:00 PM. Mark says that he eats whole grains, nuts, legumes, fruits, and veggies throughout the course of the day.
Rule #2 – Don’t worry about portion sizes – Mark said to not worry about how much you eat during the day while you are eating whole foods, fruits and veggies before 6:00.
Rule #3 – Eat what you want after 6:00 PM – Mark eats the meals that aren’t allowed in his diet until 6 PM at this time. During the day he eats nutrient dense foods but allows himself some of the forbidden foods during this time. Dr. Oz suggested that you shouldn’t eat after 8:00 PM. So between 6 and 8 is when you are allowed to eat foods that you desire. Mark told Dr. Oz that he lost 36 pounds in only 4 months by following these eating plan.
Mark Bittman’s Vegan Scrambled Tofu With Spinach Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs silken tofu (drain and pat dry)
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 1/2 lbs spinach (rinsed)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt, pepper, and chili flakes (season to taste)
- In a large pan heat with vegetable oil to medium temp.
- Add onion and garlic to pan. Sprinkle with salt and cook for 3 to 5 minutes
- Sprinkle chili flakes and cook for 1 minute.
- Increase the cooking temp to medium high.
- Add spinach and 1/4 cup water
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper and cook while stirring the spinach mixture for 5 to 8 minutes
Break the tofu into crumbled pieces and stir. Lower the cooking temperature. When the mixture in the pan starts to stick it is done.