Dr. Oz Talks About The “Dirty Dozen” List Of Foods With Most Pesticides and the “Clean” Foods With The Least
Today Dr. Oz was talking about alarming use of pesticides in our crops and the health risks that are associated with these chemicals. During this segment Dr. Oz revealed the “Dirty Dozen” fruits and vegetables that absorb the most pesticides. Dr. Oz also reveals the “Clean 15″ fruits and vegetables so you can limit your exposure to pesticides if this is a concern that you have.
The Dirty Dozen Fruits and Vegetables List
Here is the list that Dr. Oz shared on his show of foods that contain the highest amounts of pesticides.
- Apples – When apple trees are sprayed, the pesticides can leak down inside the apple at the stem and literally make their way into the core!
- Celery – When you are chopping your celery stalks during preparation you should be sure to chop the bottom of the stalks off. Pesticides collect at the bottom of celery.
- Cherry tomatoes, grapes, peaches, nectarines – These types of fruits should concern you because most people eat the skins. Pesticides can penetrate into the skin layers and be a cause for concern.
- Cucumbers – As many as 35 different pesticides have been found inside cucumbers!
- Spinach – This type of veggie lies close to the ground and can soak in the pesticides very easily
- Strawberries – Another “ground hugging” crop that are prone to bugs. Farmers use larger amounts of pesticides on strawberries.
- Peppers – Of all the fruits and vegetables sweet and hot peppers contain the highest amount of pesticides.
Low Pesticide Fruits and Vegetables
Kate Geagan (a nutritionist) explained to Dr. Oz that washing our fruits and veggies does reduce the amount of pesticides but doesn’t eliminate the problem because they can penetrate inside the foods. However, we can choose the fruits and vegetables that contain the least amount of pesticides. Here are “The Clean 15″. The foods listed below contain the least amount of pesticides.
- Sweet peas
- Sweet potatoes
Tips To Avoid Foods That Are High In Pesticides
While we all would love to buy organic 100 percent of the time, Dr. Oz realizes that this just isn’t possible. Dr. Oz asked Kate about how we can limit our exposure to pesticides. Kate came up with these tips :
- The foods that you should buy organic should be from the “Dirty Dozen” list. If you can’t afford to buy all your fruits and veggies organically buy the “clean 15″ fruits and veggies the conventional way.
- Eat pineapple instead of strawberries – Most of the strawberries you see are grown from outside of the U.S. because of the short growing season for strawberries in the USA. There are fewer pesticide regulations from other countries so you can’t be sure how much pesticides are in the strawberries.
- Eat sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes – Kate Geagan said that sweet potatoes have 1/10 the amount of pesticides as regular potatoes.
- Eat cabbage instead of kale – Fewer pesticides while still reaping health benefits.
Pesticides in Meat
You may not think that meat contains pesticides but they do. This is because the animal eats foods that are often high in pesticides and it gets into their digestive system. The fattier the meat, the more pesticides that they are likely to have. Meats high in pesticides are :
- Ground beef
- Chicken thighs
- Sandwich meats
- Hot dogs
If you are worried about the pesticides you consume in meats, you should choose lean meats or buy organic.
Are you a fan of Dr. Oz but unable to tune in to see his show regularly? Consider Liking “Fans of Dr. Oz” on Facebook to view daily show recaps and summaries.