Learn How To Make Homemade Twinkies – Recipe From The Chew
I may have stopped eating twinkies and Hostess made snacks quite some time ago, I sure do remember how delicious they were! Today on “The Chew” Michael Symon shared a homemade twinkies recipe that just may have me back in the kitchen to try this mouth watering recipe.. For old times sake of course!
Before Michael shared his recipe he talked about his eating habits as a child. He said that he actually ate very healthy each week, but once or twice a week he was allowed to enjoy a Twinkie, Little Debbie Nutty Bar, or similar treats like that.
Now, that the Hostess Factory is closing down Michael Symon’s homemade twinkie recipe may be in huge demand.. I must admit, this recipe will be put into action very soon.
Homemade Twinkies Recipe by Michael Symon
How To Fold The Egg Yolks and Whites Together
Michael began beating the egg whites, cream of tarter, and sugar thoroughly. He then started beating the egg yolks separately with more sugar. So, how do you fold them together? Carla Hall said to take a portion of the egg whites and whisk them with the yolks. After you have done this add the rest of the egg whites to the yolks.
Homemade Twinkies Ingredients
For the cake part :
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup of flour (using cake flour will allow you to make this recipe with less gluten in it)
- 1/4 cup regular flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cups of sugar
- 1/3 teaspoons of cream of tartar
Ingredients For The Filling
- 6 tablespoons of butter (allow the butter to warm to room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cups of marshmallow fluff
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of condensed milk
Directions on how to make homemade Twinkies :
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a Twinkie mold with cooking spray
- Mix baking powder, salt, and flower in bowl
- Heat the milk and butter in a small pan (do this using low heat)
- Beat the egg whites using a mixer
- Add six tablespoons of cream of tarter, sugar and beat the mixture thoroughly (Michael said this will take about 6 minutes until there are soft peaks)
- Beat the egg yolks (using a different bowl) with the rest of the sugar until the mixture is thick. Add the egg whites to the yolks but don’t mix together.
- Over low temperature shake flour over the mixture and egg whites.
- Pour milk and butter on one side of the mixture and slowly mix using a spatula.
- Fill the Twinkie molds with 3/4 batter and bake 13-15 minutes.
Directions to make the Twinkie Filling
- Mix together the butter, sugar, salt, vanilla, and marshmallow.
- Add in the cream and milk.
- Mix until smooth
- Add the filling into a pastry bag (1/4 in round tip)
- Press the tip into the cake part of the twinkie and add filling. Do this in three parts of the Twinkie but be careful not to overfill.
- Serve and enjoy your homemade twinkies!
Would you try this Twinkie recipe? Do you have one of your own that you would like to share? Please share by leaving a comment below.