The Drs, Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, How Shain Gandee Died

Shain Gandee Died Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – The Doctors Talk About Symptoms To Be Aware Of

Whether your a fan of the MTV show “Buckwild” or not, it is truly tragic the that Shain Gandee died at the young age of 21.  Shain (along with his uncle and friend) died of carbon monoxide poisoning while the were out on an off-roading trip. Considering that Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is both silent and odorless how do we know when we our lives may be in jeopardy.  Today’s episode on The Doctors discuss the tragedy that happened to Shain Gandee and the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning that we all should be aware of so we can protect ourselves along with our family.

Shain Gandee, Uncle, and his friend went on the trip to go mudding.  Shain’s truck was later found partially sunk in a mudhole. What likely happened is that when the truck became submerged in the mud the truck was flooded with carbon monoxide.  Since carbon monoxide is odorless and literally undetectable there was no way that any of the men knew that their life was in danger.

How You Can Die From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

It is always so unfortunate when you the news that someone so young has died prematurely.  So how do you actually die from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning? The Drs explained that when you inhale too much carbon monoxide, red blood cells stop sending oxygen to the tissues in your body.

What Are The Symptoms Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Dr. Travis Stork said that many of the symptoms that you may notice are :

  • You may feel a sudden headache coming on
  • You may feel nauseous
  • Drowsiness
  • Flu like symptoms

Dr. Travis Stork said that if you are experiencing headaches every time that you take a drive in your car it could be a sign that carbon monoxide is leaking into the car.  Dr. Travis Stork said that this is a common symptom that families often complain about when they go to the Emergency Room.

How Can You Protect Yourself From Carbon Monoxide Poison

Even though carbon monoxide is silent and odorless there are some precautions that families should take to protect themselves.  Here are the precautions that they talked about on today’s (April 5 2013) episode of The Doctors

    • Always make sure that your exhaust pipe is not obstructed by anything
    • Look out for water, mud, and snow around your house
    • Have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home